- In 2017 the board of directors created a Legacy Society honoring those who have named the Rossmoor Fund as a beneficiary in their estate plans. The first to join the Legacy Society at its inception were eight members of the board of directors. As of January, 2021, the number of members in the Legacy Society has grown steadily to 15 individuals and couples. Each of us has expressed our intention to make a gift to the Rossmoor Fund in our will or trust, or to name the Rossmoor Fund as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy, annuity or retirement account. Now, we invite any and all others to join us as members of our Legacy Society.
- By making a bequest, of any size, you help ensure the future of the Rossmoor Fund and will be remembered as a good neighbor for years to come.
- We will thank you by listing your name (with your permission, of course) in our annual report each year, and inviting you to occasional special gatherings.
- After providing for your family, you can leave your mark on Rossmoor by helping the Rossmoor Fund care for your neighbors in need. Please give this request your most serious consideration.
- To join the Legacy Society, simply print the “Legacy Intention” form below, complete it, and mail it to the address indicated.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT BEQUESTS:
What do you mean by a bequest, exactly?
A bequest to the Rossmoor Fund is a gift at the time of death in the form of a specific amount of money, a percentage of your estate, a gift of certain stock, real estate or other property, or a gift of all or a portion of distributions under a life insurance policy, annuity or retirement plan. Generally a bequest is made by naming the Rossmoor Fund as a beneficiary in your will, codicil, trust, life insurance policy, annuity contract or retirement plan.
How do I set up a gift from my estate?
Contact an attorney, ideally someone who specialises in estate planning. The attorney will set up a will or trust (or an amendment to an existing will or trust), or help you add the Rossmoor Fund as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy, annuity or retirement plan.
Can you give me the language to use?
Sample language for a will or codicil: “I give, devise, and bequeath to the Rossmoor Fund, federal tax identification number 27-0479896, P.O. Box 2070, Walnut Creek, CA, 94595, the sum of $__________ [or a description of stock, real estate or other property or portion of your estate] to be used for its general purposes.” It’s always best to consult your estate planning attorney for specific advice and language.
May I direct how my bequest is to be used?
Yes, you may specify the desired use of your bequest as long as it is within the charitable and educational purposes of the Rossmoor Fund. However, we would urge you to state your wishes as broadly as possible, because services and programs must remain flexible to meet the changing needs of our community.
May I make a bequest in honor or memory of a loved one?
Yes, simply specify in your bequest the name of the individual whom you would like to honor. We will send a letter to the honoree or the honoree’s family to let them know about your gift. The amount of the gift will not be disclosed unless you specifically ask us to do so.
What is the benefit to me, the donor?
A bequest planned in advance offers you a way to make a significant contribution without compromising your current financial situation. Some types of gifts offer tax benefits during your lifetime or at death. Your financial planner or attorney can advise you.
Why does the Rossmoor Fund want to know my intention?
We want the opportunity to thank you through membership in our Legacy Society. You do not need to reveal the amount of your gift or any personal details. You simply indicate your intention (see the form below) to remember the Rossmoor Fund, and your intention will serve as an example to others.
Can I change my mind?
Yes, if your circumstances or intentions change, you can certainly change your will or trustor other bequest document. The only exception might be if you have received tax benefits from a particular type of gift that might not be open to change.
All donors should consult with and rely on legal, tax and financial advice from their own legal, tax and financial advisors.
LEGACY INTENTION — ROSSMOOR FUND:
This is to notify you of my intent to make a bequest to the Rossmoor Fund in my estate plans.
_______ You may list me as a member of the Legacy Society.
_______ I’d prefer this remain anonymous.
Please mail to: Rossmoor Fund, P.O. Box 2070, Walnut Creek CA 94595 Attn: Donna Reynolds.